Posted on May 1, 2008 by Aprilann
Okay, we are going to let you know what others think about housing fire-bellied toads and fire-bellied newts together.
Below our article are links that discuss the potential dangers of housing us together. They have very valid reasons NOT to put fire-bellied toads and fire-bellied newts in the same terrarium or aquarium.
We have been together for over a year and April or Tony has watched us for hours on end during that time and have yet to see any stress between us, etc.
We (all of us – newts and toads) are approximately the same size and that may be why us toads do not see the newts as a food source. Or, it could be pure luck that we do not eat the newts.
Randall1 and Randall2 (the newts) will actually decide on their own to come over to us toads and cuddle. That obviously shows they are not stressed by our presence in the tank.
Although we do not question the opinions expressed in the following links, we have decided to stay together for the time being.
Our recommendation to new owners or owners that have had previous bad experiences is to house us separately. Unless you will be watching us carefully and be prepared to separate us by having another housing area ready nearby if it is needed.
Here are the links we mentioned earlier:
Brownie, Greenie and Limey
Filed under: Fire-Bellied Newts, Fire-Bellied Toads | Tagged: aquarium, dangers, Fire-Bellied Newts, Fire-Bellied Toads, terrarium | 10 Comments »
Posted on March 18, 2008 by Aprilann
I received an email from someone who wanted to know how to care for fire-bellied newts so I decided to share a couple care sheets I found with you.
I personally do not have my aquarium set up the way explained in the care sheets. My aquarium is described in my blog: How we like our tank set up
My particular newts like to eat crickets, waxworms and nightcrawlers. I have to cut the worms into a reasonable size for the newts to swallow or they will ignore the food. I love to dangle the worm at the end of a toothpick and watch the newts go after it.
But, I imagine the people writing the following care sheets have more experience than myself so you may want to set up your aquarium like they describe.
Filed under: Fire-Bellied Newts | Tagged: aquarium, care sheet, Fire-Bellied Newts, newt | 5 Comments »
Posted on October 24, 2007 by Aprilann
April said we should tell you about what we want. Just in case someone out there sees us and says, “Boy, I would love to have one of those fire-bellied toads as a pet.”
We are fairly easy to keep but do require some attention. Things you need to know before you decide you want one of our kind in your house are:
- Aquarium or equivalent: We need land and water. April fills her 20 gallon aquarium up quite high because she has fish. But then she has piled a lot of interesting items up in the aquarium and then laid rocks across that are out of the water. She gave us some good hiding places (one of them is always being used by the newt though) since we do appreciate our privacy.
- We only eat live food. Crickets are our favorites, but April has read that we will eat waxworms, mealworms and other worms. So far, we haven’t eaten anythiing but crickets. We do love those crickets! YUMMMY!
- We need to be fed about every other day. April has been told we could go without for a week if absolutely necessary. But, we don’t want to try it. We heard she heads out to Hawaii with her hubby about every other year and we do hope she has her neighbors come over and feed us while she is gone.
- We really like a filter in our aquarium because we accumulate quite a bit of waste and get our home pretty dirty without one.
- We don’t require a heater but love a light to bask in. We like the water to be about 75-78 F or 24-25C.
- We need our water changed regularly. You see, we are toxic – we try to tell everyone with our red bellies – and although we aren’t extremely toxic any other animals in the aquarium with us could get sick or die if the water isn’t changed regularly.
- Here is a good site to read up on how to take care of us at About.com Exotic Pets
There are a lot of great sites about fire-bellied toads. The one we really like is at Frogland. They have a lot of good information and fun things there.
Later we get to tell you about our crickets. YUM! We get to watch them grow and grow. Then, April puts some in our house and we gobble them up!
Greenie & Brownie
Filed under: Fire-Bellied Toads | Tagged: aquarium, crickets, feeding, Fire-Bellied Toads | Leave a comment »